Forums

The Woodburner :: Forums :: Pyrography Tips
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Need new fonts to use for your burnings?

Author Post
Burning Crafts
Fri Dec 31 2010, 08:28PM
Dean
Registered Member #4653
Hi all. My hard drive died in my laptop, so I had to install a new one, and upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7. When I started using Microsoft Word to get my fonts ready for burnings, I realized that Windows 7 had a little over half the fonts that Vista did. I was missing my caligraphy, old english, and other designer fonts.

I did a websearch and found out how to install new fonts in Windows 7. I also did a search for free fonts, and have found a great site with thousands of free fonts. It was simple to download and install.

Here is the main site that I found them on. It is call Font Space:

http://www.fontspace.com/

Here is an easy run down of how to use this site to install fonts on your computer:
1. Just click on "browse" at the top of the screen.
2. Choose the category you want to look at.
3. Move your mouse over the top of the font you want.
4. Click "download". Now click on "open", not "save", unless you really want to save it there is no need. When it opens the file, click on the document file that the icon looks like a document with an A on it. Some of the file folders contain more than one version of that style of font.
5. Now click on install.
6. Whamo Blamo you are done!! The font is now added to Windows 7 font list.

Now all you have to do is open Word or another program you want to use the font in and select it.

If anyone has more places to get free fonts, please feel free to add them to this thread.

[ Edited Fri Dec 31 2010, 08:30PM ]
Mesquiter
Sat Jan 01 2011, 06:34AM
Registered Member #19
Thanks and I'm in the process of moving all my "stuff" from a Vista computer to a new one with windows 7. Hope to be done in a day or 2. If windows 7 doesn't have the OE font and missing others, that is a downside to it
Burning Crafts
Sat Jan 01 2011, 12:09PM
Registered Member #4653
That was the biggest let down I had with Windows 7, the missing fonts. They will have them later on probably, when they get more patches created. That is what they did with Vista, was send out font patches.

To tell you the truth, at the end of that day when I found the lack of fonts and installed new ones, I was actually extremely happy that they were missing. If they were not, I woul have still had just the same old fonts. Now, I have thousands to choose from, many that I had seen before but didn't know how to attain them.

My favorites are proably the ones that look more country, like "Bleeding Cowboy". that one is so neat looking.

My wife did a 5x7 for one of my nephews for a Christmas present. He is into hard rock music, favorite band is Disturbed. She put their logo on it and then used a font called "Blood of Dracula" for his initials. It is an old english font that looks like it is dripping blood.

[ Edited Sat Jan 01 2011, 12:10PM ]
Sunfire
Fri Feb 04 2011, 12:18PM
Registered Member #3011
I love the free fonts out there. I can't remember where I picked mine up from, but I got so many... I've used "Burton's Nightmare" and "Magic the Gathering" and "Bonzai" and "Boomerang" all more than once. There are some really fun ones, too, that if you just do a single word in the font, it can be a piece of art all on it's own.
Burning Crafts
Sat Apr 30 2011, 01:29AM
Registered Member #4653
Sunfire, if you think of the site that you got your fonts from, let me know. I would love to check them out.

One of these days I am going to search out more fonts. I would like to have more than just the ones from the website I put in the first post of this thread.

With a lot of my burnings, especially ones for comission, the font can make or break the tone of the piece. A lot of what I do for comission is just lettering with a photograph, sports car, or something along those lines.

The more font styles I have, the better. If I am just adding words to a picture layout, I like to let the font I use come from what I feel when I am looking at the layout.

Dean

[ Edited Sat Apr 30 2011, 01:30AM ]
Burning Crafts
Sat Apr 30 2011, 01:56AM
Registered Member #4653
I found more places to download fonts. Use the same instructions to install from these sites.

Most of the fonts are the same between all of them, but these do have a lot of different ones, especially on the first link:

http://www.urbanfonts.com/free-fonts.htm

http://1001freefonts.com/

Moderators: Administrator, Ralph

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF